Are you looking for a fun way to sneak in some creative writing this fall? Using these fall writing prompts is an excellent way to do just that!
One of my favorite ways to start the writing block is with a quick write. A quick write is when you provide a prompt and give your students a certain amount of time to write. The instruction is just to write and if they get stuck, then they need to keep writing! They can simply write “I’m stuck” until they can think of more to write.
These 1st and 2nd grade writing prompts are a great way to assess if your students have mastered certain writing skills as well.
25 Fall-Themed Writing Prompts
- Pretend you’re a scarecrow! What would you see and do on your adventures?
- Do you prefer pumpkins or apples? Why?
- Would you rather go pick pumpkins or pick apples? Explain why.
- Describe how to pick the perfect apple.
- Describe a pumpkin.
- Pretend you have to use a pumpkin as a bowling ball! Write a story about going bowling.
- Pretend you’re a leaf falling from a tree. Write about your adventures.
- Write a list of 10 things you can do in the fall that you can’t do in the summer.
- You have an owl for a pet! How would you take care of it?
- What is your favorite holiday in the fall?
- Write a list of 10 nouns you are thankful for.
- Describe your favorite Halloween candy.
- Write about traditions your family has in the fall.
- Do you like pumpkin pie or apple pie better?
- Have you been on a hayride? Write a story about it.
- Oh no! You got lost in an corn maze! How will you get out?
- Write a non-fiction story of everything you know about pumpkins.
- What colors do you think of with fall? Where do you see these colors?
- If you could choose your ideal dinner on Thanksgiving, what foods would you choose?
- If you could invite anyone to your Thanksgiving dinner, who would you pick?
- If you were a turkey, what color would your feathers be?
- Pretend you have a turkey for a pet! How will you hide him on Thanksgiving?
- Pretend you are the president. What would you do all day?
- Pretend you are the coach of your favorite football team. Write how you will pump the team up for a big game.
- Write how to pick a pumpkin.
Download Your Free Writing Prompts For All Seasons
If you are interested in free ready-to-go writing prompts, this free download includes 8 1st grade writing prompts for each season. These are simple to prep and can be left for a sub! Cut out each strip and students will glue at the top of their paper. You can use these with regular writing page templates or in a notebook.
Fall Writing Prompts and Journals
Like these prompts?! You will definitely want to check out our fall writing prompts, which you can use stand-alone or in a writing journal! There are 50 fall-themed writing prompts and pages with 2 different journal covers, which means you could use it for both October and November! And guess what?! There’s Halloween and Thanksgiving themes included!
In this journal, you will find writing templates for:
- how-to stories
- opinion writing
- letter writing
- narrative writing