Disclaimer: I used the pronoun “she” in my reasons because my teacher bestie, Brooke, is female. Your teacher bestie might be male and the same reasons apply! 🙂
4. You have someone to remind you of emails to return, deadlines, staff meetings, etc. Did you forget to sign up for the school carnival? Or that there’s a staff meeting right after school? I bet your teacher bestie won’t let you forget and I bet you wouldn’t let her forget either!
5. You have someone to lift you up just when you need it. When you have a true teacher bestie, she will do whatever she can to make you have a great day. And, the same will go for you. You will do whatever you can to make sure she has a great day too. You will have each other’s coffee orders memorized, favorite snacks down, etc. Plus, when someone has you for Secret Santa… Guess who they’re going to ask these things. Duh, your teacher bestie!
6. You have someone to share fun school events with! I don’t know about you guys, but I absolutely love the school carnival. And getting to volunteer with your teacher bestie makes it a thousand times better. My teacher bestie and I volunteered for the silly string booth at our last school carnival and we ended up volunteering the entire time because we had so much fun.
7. You have someone who helps you stay awake during
boring very informative professional development. Professional development can be really great. I love to learn new things. However, there’s that PD that you just sit there and then 10 minutes later wonder to yourself if you just fell asleep or not. And then you’re thinking, “Did I snore? Is that drool on my sleeve?” However, when you have your teacher bestie by your side, she won’t let you fall asleep. She may even keep you entertained with funny faces or something.
8. You have a friendship that you can use as a role model to your students. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve referenced our friendship to kids when I’m helping two friends work out a little battle. I often say, “If I said something like that to Mrs. Kissel, how do you think she would react?” It’s always great to have a friendship so strong that the kids are aware of because they can look to you two as role models for friendships in their own lives.
And there you have it! And if you’re super lucky like me, then your teacher bestie turned into your real life best friend. Brooke is even my Maid Of Honor!
During our school’s buddy walk- her fifth graders walked with my first graders and so obviously, we buddied up too!
During our school carnival, volunteering the silly string area.